Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How are we going to act?

See update from March 9th, 2008
Well.....
Like the Calvinist said after he fell down the stairs, "I'm glad that's over with."

Fort Worth's Broadway Baptist votes to keep pastor
from The Fort Worth Star-Telegram
and a similar story from the Dallas Morning News Religion Blog

I'm a member of a study group called "Exploring The Christian Faith" at Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth. We don't hesitate to ask the hard questions. Very few answers are provided. We're just about to finish a series called "Living The Questions". We'll probably do a book study next.

If you've lost touch with your faith, or lost interest in traditional answers to Christianity's difficulties, come join us. There's been some recent controversy about our studying some of the theologians listed in the Spiritual Advisors blogroll to your right. Borg in particular. I hope we're over it now. (See the Star-Telegram link above.)

In the last few months, I've learned that Freedom of Religious Expression is a valuable thing. Lord have mercy, I love this class. All points of view are respected. No one believes me, but meeting in that room is the most Libertarian hour of my week.

If you want to join us, we meet at 9:30 in Room 306 every Sunday morning. 305 West Broadway, Fort Worth, TX 76104.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to add my name to the list of supporters, but I don't know where to go to do that. Any information would be helpful! Thanks.

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Show up Wednesday night, or Sunday. Find someone who you know to be on whichever list/petition that you want to support. I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the appropriate direction.
(How's that for trying to remain calm and helpful?)

Anonymous said...

I have this Capraesque vision of Jimmy Stuart gathing folks from the four-corners of Fort Worth and decending upon Broadway Baptist to sign the cease and increase statement.
If only.

I'm such a romantic.

Anonymous said...

'Whited sepulchre' = whitewashed tomb. What an appropriate name for a pseudo-Christian. What does this* have to do with the uncompromising non-PC person of Christ? Do you even mention His name in your kind of 'church'?

We are committed to the path of peace and harmony and goodwill. We ask you to join us in those high principles. We must not give up on a Broadway that reflects these values and principles.

What is that supposed to be? An ashram for the continuation of Mother Gaia in the church of Islianity?

I come not to bring peace but to bring a sword Jesus Christ.

Anonymous said...

How is this going to be resolved in a way that is pleasing to God?

Only by mercy as shown by our Heavenly Father, through the Gospel of grace of our Lord Jesus is there any chance that this situation will be resolved well.

"My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock I stand:
All other ground is sinking sand"

Our only hope is in the blood of Jesus that covers all sin for those who seek it. Get on your knees, praying, fasting, and humbly seek forgiveness. Praise God, lean on and share the Gospel, keep on caring for the weak, and seek truth
found in the Bible.

Lord Jesus I pray that there would be a revival at Broadway Baptist brought on as a result of your good work that might come out of such a nasty situation. We know that you are a God of miracles and we pray today for that. Send your Holy Spirit to guide this community out of strife into a life centered in your truth as you have laid out in your word through the holy scriptures.
I pray in the name of Jesus.

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Dear Anonymous,
Where's Jimmy Stewart now that we need him?
Unfortunately, there is no Jimmy Stewart. There's me, you, and open-minded up there. What Would Jimmy Stewart Do?

Aurora,
I disagree with most of what you say in your comment. I've been struggling and losing the battle of finding out what Jesus wants my whole life. And now that I'm finding something sensible I can latch onto, it's declared a heresy. But that's my problem, not yours.

However, you are THE VERY FIRST commenter or emailer to get my Whited Sepulchre self-reference, so you are hereby blogrolled. I've linked your Midnight Sun blog in the "People Who Make Me Look Like A Marxist Humanities Professor" category. Let me know if you'd like to be transferred to "Spiritual Advisors".
I'm betting that within a few years we find we have more in common than we might think.
Me and "Mother Gaia"???? Aurora, you are the first person to ever remotely imply that I'm Politically Correct.

Chucknfw,
Thanks for the concern, and for the prayer.

Anonymous said...

The church members have an honest difference of opinion in this matter. The vote should settle the matter. I pray that the members will be able to continue to worship together after the vote.