Thursday, October 1, 2009

Two Year Blogoversary

I almost let the two year Blogoversary of this thing pass by without comment.

The first post on this site went up on 9-28-07, and I had no real idea what the main focus was going to be.
Since then, I've made it into the Star-Telegram a couple of times. Once with an editorial and once in a feature piece on political bloggers.
I've made some great friends through the Camp Blownstar Blogger meetups.
Big Daddy John Spivey found the site, and got me involved in the Tarrant County Libertarian Party.
That got me involved in End The Fed rallies, a Gay/Lesbian Rights parade, and staffing pro-2nd amendment booths at gun shows.
I've been to more Tea Parties than Lady Astor.
Then people started linking the site on Reddit. Then Facebook. Then it got Twittered. (And Twixted. Whatever that is.)
See that little world map on the right side of your screen, under the incredibly pretentious "A Thousand Points Of Light" header? Click on it, or click here. Depending on the topic of the day, I'll get more hits from Europe and Australia than from the U.S.
Fun stuff, this internet.
Before I started blogging, Dr. Ralph and I knew each other, but didn't hang out together. We recently spent a couple of hours at his place, playing guitars, not talking about politics, and looking at his artwork. (He's got a show in Fort Worth this weekend, BTW. Hit the link. Dr. Ralph can paint.)

When I can get my A-game going, this thing is good for 700-800 hits a day. Whenever I post sub-standard stuff for three days in a row, it drops into the 300-400 range so quickly that it's depressing. You people have the loyalty of tomcats.

If you've ever considered doing something like this, I hope you'll give it a try. Use the right key words in your headlines, and you'll meet plenty of people who love what you love, care about your concerns, and who are fascinating to correspond with. Plus, I don't know how people can claim they know what they think, until they read what they've written for public consumption.

Your voice counts. Unless, of course, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG ! !

9 comments:

Andrew Ian Dodge said...

Congrats, soon you will be a grizzled ole' vet like me.

Dr Ralph said...

I'm afraid you have me confused with some wimpy artist. I'm sure he would appreciate the kind words.

Congratulations on your anniversary - or is it your birthday?Whatever it is, to do it for two years is quite a feat.

Imagine what you could have accomplished had you chosen to use your powers for good rather than evil.

ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Who'se Star Telegram? An old girlfriend? wink wink

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Andrew,
For some reason, youre blog hosting service has me banned. Please repent.

Doctor,
You really can paint, you know. Good luck with your show this weekend. Sorry I can't make it, but i'm gonna be busy with my plan for world domination.

Leonidas,
Speaking of bad puns, like "being in Star Telegram", do you know What Goes Into 13 Twice ???

Dr Ralph said...

Good luck with your plans for world domination -- I'll be sure and listen for the air raid sirens.

This isn't you, is it?

Omnibabe said...

Happy blogiversary, my friend!

Lisa said...

Congratulations Whited Sepulchre

Good Luck Dr Ralph

Browncoat Libertarian said...

Man, I go out of town for 4 days and I'm buried in WS posts when I get back...this is a good thing! Happy Blogoversary!

Dr Ralph said...

Browncoat: welcome back to the stable. Hope you wore your boots.