Thursday, January 31, 2008

Broadway Baptist Church

Well.....
Like the Calvinist said after he fell down the stairs, "I'm glad that's over with."

Fort Worth's Broadway Baptist votes to keep pastor
from The Fort Worth Star-Telegram
and a similar story from the Dallas Morning News Religion Blog

I'm a member of a study group called "Exploring The Christian Faith" at Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth. We don't hesitate to ask the hard questions. Very few answers are provided. We're just about to finish a series called "Living The Questions". We'll probably do a book study next.

If you've lost touch with your faith, or lost interest in traditional answers to Christianity's difficulties, come join us. There's been some recent controversy about our studying some of the theologians listed in the Spiritual Advisors blogroll to your right. Borg in particular. I hope we're over it now. (See the Star-Telegram link above.)

In the last few months, I've learned that Freedom of Religious Expression is a valuable thing. Lord have mercy, I love this class. All points of view are respected. No one believes me, but meeting in that room is the most Libertarian hour of my week.

If you want to join us, we meet at 9:30 in Room 306 every Sunday morning. 305 West Broadway, Fort Worth, TX 76104.

2 comments:

sandersonmom said...

If we are true Christians and believe that God sent his only begotten son to save us from our past/current/future sins, then the people who are trying to keep the gay/lesbians out of the Church directory are missing the point.
I am not a very religious individual. I have had a whole lot of reasons to be upset with God. But I do believe that every person has their own right to be whoever they feel like they need to be.
We just need to love them and be there for them. Being a mother of two children who eventually are going to come up against some pretty rotten individuals calling them "different" I have compassion for the ones who are being voted out because of a lifestyle that really is nobody else's business.
Maybe the people who are making this such a big deal should really look at their own lives and wonder...
I think you Church is one of the few places that will make a dent in thinking there is hope in a world obviously not full of it. And the selected few that are doing this to the people who live "differently" ought to be ashamed.

Sew daze said...

I dont envy the position that your church is in. If I was faced with this issue in my church, I probably would take the "it is none of my business and dont want to be bothered with it" attitude. Whether that is right or wrong as a Christian, I dont know. Everyone has the right to worship God. If God feels as though our lifestyles are not to his standards, whether we are homosexual or not, we will know when judgement day comes. As it is not up to us to judge, but it is GOD's.