Friday, March 13, 2009

Whoopi Goldberg on taxes

Here's Whoopi Goldberg on her taxes:


She goes off on a rant about being overtaxed, nickeled and dimed on her phone bill. Some of her co-hosts then praise the 50% tax rates in Denmark. You can read the entire transcript here.

Whoopi Goldberg has been criticized in a few places for making lots of money and then griping about paying higher taxes.
I support her 100%, and hope that her tribe increases.
But I do have a problem with a few of Whoopi's opening statements, mostly the preliminary sugar coating she tried to put on her anti-tax rant:

Well, I’ll tell you, I don’t mind paying taxes because I know I make a lot of dough and you want to give some.

I give some. I wish I could give more. But what Whoopi is talking about is NOT giving. It's called taxation. It's taking money from Whoopi, by force, so other people can spend it on their pet projects.
"Giving" is the relationship you have to your favorite charity, a neighbor in trouble, your church or synagogue, or the Chinese Democracy Fund.
I'll bet dollars to donuts that Whoopi Goldberg has a tax accountant. So do her high-tax advocating, Denmark-loving hosts on "The View". The accoutant's job is to ensure that Whoopi gets to hang onto as many of her hard-earned dollars as possible. "Giving" be damned.

Okay? That’s the way it’s supposed to be. That’s the way it’s supposed to be because if you have you want to give.

But when someone dies and leaves a will giving all his money to the Federal Government, it makes the news.
Why?
Because we know that the deceased was probably out of his freakin' mind. People don't voluntarily give their money to the government.

One of Tarrant Liberty Guy's favorite arguments goes like this..... Say you won a lottery, and wanted to help humanity. To which charities would you donate? How far down the list would you have to go before considering The Department Of Health And Human Services ?

No comments: