Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Justices Will Decide if Handgun Kept at Home Is Individual Right - New York Times

Justices Will Decide if Handgun Kept at Home Is Individual Right - New York Times

WASHINGTON, Nov. 20 — The Supreme Court announced Tuesday that it would decide whether the Constitution grants individuals the right to keep guns in their homes for private use, plunging the justices headlong into a divisive and long-running debate over how to interpret the Second Amendment’s guarantee of the “right of the people to keep and bear arms.”

This shouldn't be difficult.

The Second Amendment's guarantee....

That means that it's in our Bill of Rights,

of the "right of the people...."

That's you, me, people you like, and people you don't like.

To keep....

That means to own. I can keep a gun, along with the other things I can keep. And the great majority of the other things I keep are in my house. Along with my guns.

And bear....

That means to use. A basic right that may seem unnecessary to those living in Gated Communities, Fenced Enclaves, and White-Flight Suburbs, but a right that is curiously comforting to those of us living in Fort Worth's/Funkytown East Side. I love my neighborhood and neighbors. They seem to like me ok. We're one of those extremely diverse groups that "Progressives" get hot and moist just thinking about. Wait a minute....where did all the "Progressives" on the East Side go? I sure don't know any. Could it be that their desire for safety clashed with their distaste for gun ownership, so they moved away?

arms.

That means guns. Equalizers. Fire sticks. To expand on Robert Frost's Mending Wall, "Good Fences and 20-gauge single shots make Good Neighbors."

Any time the Supreme Court needs help with these difficult issues, I'm available for consultation at reasonable rates, and can be contacted through this site.

No comments: