Monday, January 14, 2008

Ezra Levant, Hero


Free Speech advocate Ezra Levant is a Canadian publisher, blogger, and free speech advocate. (I've been in Canada for about a week, and there's plenty to write about up there. This should be out of my system soon....)

Mr. Levant has been hauled before The Thought Police The Alberta Human Rights Commission because he dared to re-publish the controversial Danish cartoons of Mohammed.

This address to his Kangaroo Court is the most devastating speech I've ever read. I can't imagine what the politically correct Guardians of Sensitivity must have felt like when this was over. Click here for a link to Ezra Levant's site, and the full text of his address.

Click here for the Samizdata post on Ezra Levant. I can't remember, or find where I read about this first, but Samizdata was all over it.
And here's Barbara Amiel, of Maclean's, recounting her experience with the Ontario Human Rights Commission. (This was in my bedtime reading, where I was plowing through the remainder of everything I purchased to read on the plane home from Canada. Learning about these Canadian Human Rights Commissions has been almost like learning a new word. Everytime I read something now, there they are....) She writes "Whether stupid or prejudiced, true of false, suppressing opinion is always bad. Seven of my columns are used as examples of Islamophobia in the report. I want to sue the authors myself for defamation, but my view of their view would not be actionable. One would think most Canadians intelligent enough to grasp that freedom doesn't mean you are only free to express nice thoughts. Freedom is not a maple-syrup nut cake to be sliced up: you cannot have some freedom of speech, or freedom of speech only for those people you like. By definition, freedom is indivisible."


2 comments:

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Muslims Against Sharia,
In your comments you have implied that:
1) The HRC is ridiculous
2) Moderate muslims are superior to Islamic radicals
3) You have implied that a Western war against Islam is somehow a falsehood.

I find these comments offensive. You will be reported to the HRC immediately.
Be prepared.

Anonymous said...

:)