Monday, April 21, 2008

More On The Tarrant County Libertarians

I made it to the Tarrant County Libertarians meetup last Saturday afternoon.

The tables were full of laid-back people throwing around names like Milton Friedman, Ludwig von Mises, and Thomas Sowell, in addition to discussing getting their candidates elected in November.

I instantly geeked out. These people were speaking my language. Compared to the usual Democrat and Republican bilge in the newspaper and on TV, this was heaven. It was poetry. Imagine finding a King James Bible after spending twenty years all alone with nothing but a copy of Good News for Modern Man.

They knew all about Angelina Jolie's interest in making a movie of Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". And they were pumped about it !

These are my people.

Then my dang cell phone started ringing. Every truckload that I'd brokered for pickup that afternoon was either late, missing, or lost. I had drivers in Dallas who couldn't find Texas. Future phone records will show that I made or received 20 phone calls in 40 minutes. Libertarians are a very tolerant bunch, but I was stretching their patience, constantly getting up from the table, leaving the coffee bar, coming back to the table, and trying to catch up on the agenda.

The offending freight companies know who they are, and they WILL atone....

Here's a plug for one of the guys I met there.... Stephen M. Smith is running for Texas State Representative, District 98. He's a very smart, extremely committed person. Look here for his priorities. And I thought I favored limited government....

According to his web page, which I hope you'll check out, Smith also works in shipping and logistics. mostly with shipments going to, from, and within Latin America. His cell phone was silent throughout the entire meeting.

If he's that effective with Latin America, just imagine what he could do with Austin.

Our next meetup will be held at Fort Worth's Rahr Brewery, May 17, 1:00 p.m.

They also put out the word about a new blog for the Libertarian Party of Texas: Lone Star Liberty.

If you don't think these guys are for real, look at what George Will had to say in the latest issue of Newsweek. There just might be a Libertarian surge.

3 comments:

TarrantLibertyGuy said...

Allen,
Thanks for your kind words. This was my first meetup and I think it was kind of a success, if I do say so myself.
I want to get our next meetup to 20 people+ at Rahr & Sons Brewing Company. We need to get as many people as possible ramped up before our the State Convention in Fort Worth.
And I'm glad you found all of us Libertry geeks your kind of people. Obviously, any friend of Milton Friedman's is a friend of ours!
John

Anonymous said...

Allen,
Glad you enjoyed the meeting. Looks like the Tarrant County LP is revving up. And thanks for your support for my candidacy.
I see that we have at least three things in common - we're both from Mississippi, we work in logistics, and we're both libertarians. What are the odds?
Look forward to seeing you at future LP meetings.

- Stephen M. Smith
LP Candidate, State Representative, District 98

The Whited Sepulchre said...

I absolutely loved being there.
I feel like I'd been dropped onto a planet where everyone could read my mind. LOTS of kindred spirits in that room.

Once again, I apologize for the cell phone issues. But, as Michael Corleone said, "This is the life I have chosen".

Hope to see you at the Rahr brewery.