Monday, October 4, 2010

On the difficulty of typing every day

I've noticed a trend. 

First of all, my overseas blog/Facebook buddy Obnoxio The Clown is hanging up his clown wig for the forseeable future. 


Here's something from his final post:

My inspiration to blog issues from a libertarian angle has waned. There's only so many times you can reduce things to first principles and argue the case and get the same stupid, meaningless counterarguments....

....The ****alition is not as astoundingly infuriating as the Labour Party were. They're just as ****ing inept, thieving, misguided and bossy, but they're much nicer about it. So that's fine.


I'm tired of trying to explain the concept of anarchism as something natural and workable to people who are happy to mindlessly defend extortion with menaces.



I can't even pretend that I will never, ever blog here again. My life may change again. I have no intention of deleting the blog, and I would be flattered to think that someone, somewhere may still find some of my writing interesting or inspiring.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that Obnoxio will be back within a month or so.  He won't be able to contain all the rage. 

Next, my friend Stephen M. Smith, of A Beginner's Guide To Freedom, is going through a dry spell.  He's only posted once in August, and about that many times in July.  Stephen is probably the best Libertarian writer in these United States. 
We asked Stephen about it at the last Tarrant County Libertarian Meetup, and he said something that all long-term libertarians have felt at one time or another.  (Or maybe I said it, and he agreed with me because I had beer in me....)
"How many times can you explain that all government activity is theft?  How many times can you point out the difference between government's stated goals and government's results?  After a while, you feel like the one-eyed man in the land of the blind."

Well, it ain't easy.  I know that the stuff I throw up here every day isn't always good or even coherent.  But somebody's gotta say it. 

Hit that link above to Stephen's site.  That post about "Lesson's Learned" is the best thing I've ever read about how our nation should go about escaping from the current fog.  I miss seeing that stuff every week. 

I hope Obnoxio and Stephen will find it in themselves to crank their sites back into action. 

In the meantime, here's a picture of Barack Obama picking his nose. 


He isn't Superman. 
He isn't our leader - he should only be an administrator (like every other politician). 
He doesn't have a clue about what's best for me, you or anyone else. 
Why would anyone give a Chicago Machine Politician this much power?
The Messiah is wearing no clothes. 
He picks his nose.   

Guys, you can always start with that. 

6 comments:

Hot Sam said...

We have dry spells because most of us do this thing called "work." "Work" enables us to maintain two nasty habits we've become addicted to:

Eating
Living indoors

Punks like Paul Krugman, Brad DeLong and others actually get paid to blog. They are allowed to blog while they are getting paid to do other stuff. They can say anything they want, any time they want, and neither their employers nor their "customers" will complain about it.

We write blogs for ourselves, not others. If others find enjoyment in reading, it doubles our pleasure. We appreciate commiseration and challenges alike.

It's never in vain. It sharpens our intellectual swords and sometimes changes our minds. We meet people and make friends.

People used to keep diaries and journals which they kept private. Now we share our thoughts.

I always learn something new by writing and reading blogs. I first wrote about rare earth metals two years ago; now it's front page news. I never heard of REs until I wrote about it.

Anonymous said...

WS,
This is why you're the king. I talk about having writer's block, but you write about having writer's block.

Nick,
You make a good point about work getting in the way. That's been a major factor behind my recent dry spell - I'm in the midst of a major job change right now, and the blog is going to have to take a back seat for a while.

The Whited Sepulchre said...

I honestly don't see how anyone can get through a day without sitting down and pounding the rage into a keyboard.

Nick,
Had a great time last night. Good to see you. Will post pics once the good Dr. sends them to me.

-Allen

Obnoxio The Clown said...

Fuck you, asshole.

SnoopyTheGoon said...

"Barack Obama picking his nose."

Nope. It's an outmoded reactionary way of describing the act. It's called now "stimulating your brain". Of course, if you go deep enough ;-)

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Obnoxio,
Right back at you, sir !

That's what we miss. Please come back !