Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Washington D.C. - Back To The Plantation

Southern plantation owners were responsible for the health, feeding, shelter, children and old-age provisions of their slaves. 

Emancipation supposedly ended all of that.  This is a good thing. 

(I don't want you or Barack to take care of my cholesterol level.  I don't want Michelle's advice and hectoring about the superiority of her damn organic garden.  I've already bought a house, and didn't need HUD to intervene between me and the previous owner. If I had the money I've "invested" in Social Security, I would already be retired, and doing quite nicely.) 

Why do so many people now want the government to behave like a plantation owner?





 

2 comments:

MingoV said...

"Why do so many people now want the government to behave like a plantation owner?"

People want the government to act like a stern, wealthy father and a nurturing mother. It's just too damn hard to be a self-reliant, independent adult who behaves ethically and morally because that's the right way to be. It's much easier to be a dependent, coddled child who behaves properly only because of the threat of punishment.

I sometimes like to talk with proponents of big government who deny that the paternalistic government they support reflects their desires or needs. Almost all of them insist that the government transfer programs are to benefit those disadvantaged 'others'. If I mention the zillions of laws and regulations and the continuous spying, they are unconcerned because they are upstanding citizens who the government will leave alone. These types of conversations are simultaneously amusing and depressing.

NeoWayland said...

Uncle Sam's Plantation: How Big Government Enslaves America's Poor and What We Can Do About It by Star Parker

She covers it in detail. She lays on the Christianity fairly heavy though, it was her way out but she does't seem to understand that isn't the way for everyone.