Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Blaise Pascal on the mini-series "Lost"

Here's the secret to the mini-series "Lost", compliments of Blaise Pascal (1623-1662):
When I see the blind and wretched state of men, when I survey the whole universe in its deadness, and man left to himself with no light, as though lost in this corner of the universe without knowing who put him there, what he has to do, or what will become of him when he dies, incapable of knowing anything, I am moved to terror, like a man transported in his sleep to some terrifying desert island, who wakes up quite lost, with no means of escape.  Then I marvel that so wretched a state does not drive people to despair.



Quoted in Karen Armstrong's A Short History Of Myth, pg. 127. 
A fresh coat of Whitening to VampE for bringing this to my attention. 

No comments: