Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Scared To Death


It was just this Saturday I was lamenting that Christopher Booker and Richard North's "Scared To Death" was not yet in print in the U.S.

My need brought it forth, like a burning bush in the wilderness. I got the last copy that Border's Books had on the shelf. Amazon.com (see link above) is temporarily out of stock. One of the authors, Dr. Richard North, is co-blogger of the EU Referendum blog to your right. He's a retired food safety consultant, and is freakin' brilliant.
Remember when all your friends and relatives were dying from Mad Cow Disease? That's funny....I don't either.

Remember when the computers all went nuts on New Year's Eve of the new millenium because of the date change and the electrical grid shut down and all the airliners crashed into the oceans? You don't remember that happening during Y2K? I don't either.
How about all the kids in your neighborhood who were subjected to Satanic Ritual Abuse? I know that my streets aren't full of them.
So how are we supposed to act when Saint Albert, The Goracle of Music City, stands atop the mountain and threatens to bring us darkness at noonday and fill the moon with blood and give Waco, Texas, some beachfront property unless the government contributes to his Kleiner Perkins /Al Gore pension fund? (Counting Cats, I gave you the link....)
Now that this book has entered the world, we have no excuse. We are obliged to laugh.
This book lists about two dozen of our Chicken Little moments, what caused them, how the media, lobbyists, and governments reacted, and the embarrased silence that followed their exposure. I've just recently started it, and wanted to help these guys out as much as possible. Here's a link to the only review written on the American Amazon site so far.
You can't imagine what I went through in China, trying to avoid Asian Bird Flu.
If I'd only known then what I know now....I would've eaten a lot more duck.

3 comments:

Jay@Soob said...

Definitely added to my read "really, really, really soon" list. Have you read Michael Crichtons State of Fear?

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Believe it or not, the last Michael Crichton novel I read was "The Andromeda Strain", musta been 1970. They were filming the movie at Universal Studios when we were on a vacation there. I loved the book.
I've never read anything else of Chrichton's, but this one sounded especially interesting.
I can only put it on my really soon list, since the really really really soon list fills up all the empty space behind my truck seat, and I have to climb over the really really soon list to get in bed.

Anonymous said...

This makes me think of the book "Ain't Nobody's Business If I Do - The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Society" by Peter McWilliams.

It was frightening enough when it was published in 1993. In current times it's even more so.

At 700 plus pages, it's not a short read, but worth it.

"Elizabeth" The Second