Wednesday, February 3, 2010

From The Humble Libertarian

I found this, like so many other good things in life, at The Humble Libertarian.

Here's Morgan Freeman, who, like so many other good things in life, came from Mississippi.
Want to end racism? STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.



On a totally unrelated topic, here are the humble ones on why the spending freeze isn't going to happen:

Can't you see it now? Even though Obama proposed this spending freeze, can't you see Republican Congressmen getting bashed in the media one year from now for voting to confirm it? Is it so hard to imagine a public with an extremely short memory and and all-too-willing media painting Congressmen as villains for cutting spending on education and our national parks, even though it was originally Obama's policy proposal?

I didn't have the patience to liveblog and Fisk the State Of The Union address. Had I done so, my left index finger would have jammed itself through the "F" and "Y-O-U" keys on my laptop.
The Humble Libertarian, however, is disciplined, patient, and says everything I would've said, but with better grammar:

Wouldn't you just love for Americans to be as scared and desperate as they were the day after 9/11? As willing now as they were then to let the government assume all kinds of unconstitutional powers and exercise unlimited authority? Don't you just wish we were clamoring for our safety and willing to trade anything for your empty promise to keep us safe like we did with Bush? Yeah be honest- you really envy Bush. Never waste a good crisis, after all. Your own chief of staff, Rahm Emmanuel said that didn't he? Don't you just wish you had such a juicy crisis upon which to predicate more expansion of executive power?

You might wonder about the name. The Humble Libertarian? Aren't libertarians those people who value individual liberty above everything else? Aren't they the ones who think they have more wisdom than, say, Nancy Pelosi?

I don't want to put words into the mouths of The Humbles, but let me take a guess.

It's all I can do to keep my own life in order. I do an ok job of it, but it takes up most of my time. I volunteer for some projects to help other people, but it's a voluntary thing. If you want to eat at McDonald's, sleep with people who have the same bedroom equipment as you, or smoke weed with Clinton, Obama, and Bush The Younger, you know what? I don't care. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I don't know enough about you to tell you what you need. If you have something I want, I feel obligated to swap something of mine for it, assuming that you agree with the deal. I sure don't know enough about you to take your money from you for your own good.

That's why libertarians are the least arrogant political group out there. We're humble enough to admit that we have no idea what you need.

(Yeah, we occasionally admit it more loudly than others.)

1 comment:

CrisisMaven said...

well, I beg to differ :-) - I think I have what EVERY libertarian needs: I have just added a Reference List to my economics blog with economic data series, history, bibliographies etc. for students & researchers. Currently over 200 meta sources, it will in the next days grow to over a thousand. Check it out and if you miss something, feel free to leave a comment.