Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Ray Bradbury, R.I.P.

We lost Ray Bradbury this morning.  Dang it. 


Someone calling himself "Kip Russell" (a Heinlein character, I think) wrote this in the comments of a Sci-Fi appreciation site:

Somewhere in America, a boy tap-dances a on a tuned segment of discarded wooden sidewalk, calling his friends to run over the hills by moonlight...

Out on the Veldt, the animals pause for a moment, as though something unseen had passed through their midst...

Somewhere on Mars, a new silver fire is burning to welcome him...

By the river, a Book stops it's recitation for the day, to remember a fine man who wrote such fine, fine things.

Thanks be, for Ray Bradbury, who taught me that there could be poetry in prose.

I think that's the best anyone will ever say it.  If you don't know much about Bradbury's stuff, check this one out.  Best anti-censorship book ever written. 
 


1 comment:

Dr Ralph said...

First Ray Bradbury book I read was "October Country." It was deliciously creepy. I wasn't as big a fan of some of his later stuff (heresy, I know), but at the end of the day, we should rank our artists by the very best of their output, not the average of everything they did.

Fahrenheit 451 is arguably the most important book he ever wrote, for the reasons you point out.